Friday 27 December 2013

'It’s so sad I’m not a BILLIONAIRE even as a VETERAN ACTOR - Kareem Adepoju AKA Baba Wande!

HOW does it feel like celebrating 50 years on stage?
I believe God has kept me till this very stage of my career. For me to be in the profession for that number of years without any problems or difficulties, I think it is worth celebrating. That is the reason I am using the opportunity to thank God.

Considering that you have fixed a date, how do you intend to do it without getting financial support?
I believe God will not disappoint me. If one person refuses to answer me, I believe another person would surely support me. I believe so much in God and I know he will not disappoint me on this. Since I have already made up my mind that, I am going to do it, it must be done. God will help me on it. Even though there is disappointment in getting sponsorship, I know He will help, because somebody will rise up somewhere to help.

Is this event an avenue to source for money or it is just for thanksgiving?
It is a two- in- one event. I want to thank God and at the same time launch a new movie I just finished producing. It is titled Agbabiaka. So it is two aspect, one is thanksgiving, while the other is the launch of a new movie that will fetch me money. Because my profession is film making, I needed to do something to mark 50 years on stage. People refer to me as a comedian, so I wrote a play on comedy.

But you stated that, you are having problem with marketers. Why produce another movie?
By the grace of God, I will not give this film to any marketer. I will sell it by myself.

How do you intend to do that?
People have said to me, that if I produce any movie, they are ready to buy it as long as has my name is in it. I won't give any marketer my film again. And that is why I stopped shooting movies. This one is for the anniversary. On the day of the event, I will announce where people can come to pick it up. I know people would come and buy it. I will even employ those who will be carrying it about to different places.

It is believed that you are a typecast artiste. How would you react to that?
As for me, I don't believe I am a comedian. I can play all kind of roles. It is just that people see me and what I do as comic. For instance, the movie Tolu Wa lo ni ile is not a comedy film but people see comedy in it. There is no part you give to me, that I cannot do. It is just that every character I portray, people see comic in it.

What would you say are the changes that have come with home movies?
Back in the days, people do not encourage their children to go into acting. But now, it is different, and that is the improvement that I can see. People now see it as a job or career to be supported. But there is no improvement in the stage play. We should not say because we have started the movies, then that part should die. Stage is the mother of movies, so how can you say because of the child you want to forget the mother, is it done? Go to foreign countries, they have those doing stage and those doing the movies. That is the way it should be here too.

The case of Pa Kasumu can happen to any actor. What do you think can be done concerning such things?
There are people who are well to do. Also, the government should be able to help in such situation. In the case of Pa Kasumu, he is a popular actor but the thing is that he has no money. I know him very well; he has spent so much on the ailment. When he couldn't control it anymore, he had to come out to the public for help.

But where do other actors get money, especially the ladies?
You know where the ladies get their money now. You cannot compare the ladies to men. So we can not relate the two together. You talk of flashy cars; do you get one from me? You know the truth. If we are paid well, you can then compare us to the Igbo's.

But how long will this continue in the Yoruba sector?
I don't know and I don't know what can be done. It is only God that can help us. The case is just like that of Nigeria, we are over 50 years and we have nothing to show for it. We are still crawling. The problem with Nigeria is also the same with the Yoruba actors. No good roads, lights, water and no job opportunities for the graduates. But I believe if the problems are solved, ours too will be solved.

What are your colleagues doing to support Pa Kasumu?
Those of us who have little change go to him and give it to him. But I learnt that the government is ready to help him. I don't know how true it is. Because they money they need for his treatment is huge and of which any actor cannot provide.

Why is it that celebrities do not come out in time to make their predicament known?
That is because they plan to treat it first maybe with herbs. But when it is beyond their power, they then shout out to the public. Nobody plans to get sick, until the problem is bigger than what they can solve. It is not like he has been looking and not doing anything, he has been trying to cure himself for many years. And he has spent a lot on himself.

Do you have any of your children taking after you?
They try to emulate me, but none of them is like me. That is, they do no not take it professionally. Some of them are graduates who are bankers, while some are craft workers.

Are any of them living on your fame?
None of them is doing that. But once people hear the name and find out they are my children, they give them respect and special treatment. But for them, they like to keep a low profile. And you will meet them in a good place, you cannot see any of my children drinking, fighting or smoking.

It is believed that prominent men love women. Does that apply to you too?
Women? There is no man in this life that does not like women. Every man loves women; it is God's making. It is not about fame. There are some men who are married to just one woman. But you will see them with different women any time they are travelling to different places. And they believe they have just one, I don't believe in that.

How many wives do you have?
Two.

Do you plan to stop at two, or there are plans to add more?
As far as I am concern on that, having two wives is not my making. If God says I will have more, it is His will. But as a Muslim, I cannot exceed four. I can have as many as four wives. And presently I have two, if God says I will have more, I will. But if He says I will stop on those two, I will. If God gives me the power and money, to maintain them and the power to satisfy them, I will have…

Given the opportunity would you go back to school?
Yes I would if I have the opportunity.

Do you plan to retire any time soon?
Actors don't retire until they die. If I say I want to retire tomorrow, people would come out to say Baba Wande has stop giving us films o. I will continue to give them plays, jokes, laughs, until I die.
TheNation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kindly drop your comments and also follow
Twitter: @opecareem
Instagram: @opecareem