Monday 18 August 2014

"I Would Love To Dress Goddess of the Big Screen, Genevieve Nnaji"- Fernandez Usiohen, C.E.O Benjamin Gold



"This is the saddest part of the story! When I left NYSC in 2008 had only little money left which was used to pay for my fashion school. I started with the last money I had which could only afford the head of the machine! I have to borrow the leg (stand) from my friends mum"

 Fernandez Eruse Usiohen, a Nigerian fashion designer and entrepreneur, holds two degrees, Diploma in Applied microbiology and Bachelor of Science in Technical/ Building Drawing from the university of Benin had an exclusive interview with Opecareem where he talks about his career, fashion school and journey into the fashion world...Excerpts below:

Benjamin Gold
 
OCB: What is fashion?

Fashion is expressing ones personality in style and trends

OCB: Any difference between fashion and style?
Style is telling the story of fashion from your own point of view through displaying ones pattern of dressing.


OCB: What is your earliest recollection of your interest in fashion?
Its not about interest, Fashion is what I am born to do. Necessity is laid on me to do my father's work while am alive "God made man" since then we have been Obligated to dress the man, in season and out season! GOD HELP ME ! LOL
OCB: Why your brand name?
Benjamin Gold! Yeah I named it after my favorite cousin Benjamin and my Mum Madam Gold before then it was fernandezeu.
Fernandez Usiohen with Omawunmi


OCB: What area of designing are you into?
Benjamin Gold is a complete outfit company we make both female and male outfit, Bags, shoes, slippers, Sandals and also Fashion school.


OCB: When did the thought first strike you to start your own fashion label?
Back in school (Uniben) but I became more serious in 2006 attended fashion school in 2010


OCB: How did you get the required funds to get started in your line of business?
This is the saddest part of the story! When I left NYSC in 2008 had only little money left which was used to pay for my fashion school. I started wit the last money I had could only afford the head of d machine I have to borrow the leg (stand) from my friends mum. Please it's not a nice experience don't want to say all I have been trough I just give GOD thanks! May be next time I will tell you more.

  OCB: How long have you been in the business?

Professionally 2 years in fashion but I have other businesses which includes farms and others.
His designs


OCB: What did you study in school?
Diploma in Applied Microbiology B.SC Ed Technical/ Building Drawing, M.sc in view


OCB: What then is the essence of you university education?
Its for enlightenment but I don't think University is for Everyone, Nigeria should invest more into Vocational School and Activities. Nigeria will be different when they start giving re-branding to Vocational skills like B.sc, M.sc, P.hd tailoring, carpentry, welding, shoe making etc.


OCB: Have you had any formal training in fashion designing?
Yes


OCB: How does it feel to be a male designer?
Lol! Where do I start from... OK it's awkward to friends and family at first but they are all proud to be Associated with GREATNESS! Lol that's me Benjamin Gold. I m so glad to be me!

OCB: What are the challenges you have faced so far?
Challenges!!! Hmmm quiet a few but not something I have not been able to handle, One of the greatest was finance but I'm good now.
In 2012


OCB: Who would you most love to design a dress for?
Lol!!! I will love to design for someone with class and Style! And that will be the one and Only Goddess of the Big Screen Genevieve Nnaji! I remain STANDING!!!


OCB: You must have a very busy schedule as a designer. Does this give you enough time to do fun stuff and hang out with your friends?
Good! That has been terrible I have people deleting and adding me every day but my real friends knows my schedule and understands me a lot.


OCB: Who are the people that inspire you the most in the world of fashion?
Versace, Mudi, Deola, Tiffany Amber and Mai Atafo and Gucci
Now..We started from the bottom, now we are here! Benjamin Gold 2014


OCB: What are you currently working on?
Smiles! Just finished the Senators suit and Preachers Wife and Marie Antoinette. Working presently on "Collar and cuffs" and my female outfit called "Ileke Idi" lol waist bead!


OCB: Describe your personal style in three words.
Ageless, Professional and Outstanding!


OCB: What is the most important message you desire to pass on through your designs?
Fashion is telling your story your own way be free to express yourself! POKO!
Lol


OCB: Poko indeed, very funny....Where do you hope to be in the coming years?
We just secured a deal with a retailer in UK london 26 plumtead road london and also in Johannesburg South Africa. Hopeful by next year we hope to be in canada and America NA GOD get power ooo!
 
OCB: Tell me about you

I'm Fernandez Eruse Usiohen AKA Greatness but my clients call me Benjamin Gold

OCB: Contact details?

Benjamin Gold Couture
29 Uwasota Road Benin city.
Nigeria 08063785130

 OCB BBpin: 7E314696 Twitter: @opecareem Instagram: @opecareem Show some love, like us on facebook------------>>>www.facebook.com/OcbVibez

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kindly drop your comments and also follow
Twitter: @opecareem
Instagram: @opecareem