Thursday 9 May 2019

Acting is Mirroring the society- Nollywood Actor, Mike Afolarin

Mike Afolarin



Nollywood most promising actor,  Mike Afolarin in a chat with Opecareem talks about growing up, why he joined Nollywood, challenges faced and his personal life. The graduate of Economics from the prestigious University of Lagos reveals that actors are a reflection of the society. Read Excerpts below: 
Do you think acting is a vehicle to affect the world in a positive way? 

M. A: Acting definitely affects the society in a positive way.. 
Acting is Mirroring the society... we reenact things we see in the society basically, so the society sees what its like, and can fix its problems, which is basically what happens when we stand in front of the mirror, we see ourselves, hence we actors and filmmakers are a reflection of the society

How long have you been acting? What was your first acting job and what movies have you been involved in? 

M. A: Started Acting sometime in 2014.. i was still in Unilag Then. 
My first acting Job was a Stage play called MAGIC TIME, Directed by Tolu LordTanner, and it was an amazing Experience.
 Since then been part of several projects, series, shortfilms and feature films. 
Which of these movies could you say gave you the attention? 
M. A: Till now, I think Kasala movie has been my biggest opportunity yet. Kasala was in Cinemas across Nigeria in December 2018. And i was one of the Four Lead Actors..

Did you go to the movies a lot as a kid? 
M. A: Sadly I don't think i went to movies a lot as a kid.. I didn’t even get to seen movies as much as i would love to..

If you were not acting what would you be doing? 
M. A: If i wasn’t acting, I probably will be somewhere on behind the Camera, or Be that voice you hear on a radio Station (smiles). 

Which directors have you worked with in the industry? 

M. A: Directors i have worked with include: Ema Edosio Deleen, Biodun Stephens,  Tolu LordTanner , Muyiwa Aluko , Judith Audu and James Omokwe. 

Morgan freeman always wanted to play Mandela. What is your dream role and who would you be playing? 

M. A: My dream role will be anything that gets me to share the screen with my acting Idols..


How do you think Government can promote the Nigerian film industry? 

M. A: I think the Government can support Nigeria film industry by giving grants, and giving film makers tax discounts, or tax refunds, also granting then access to exclusive locations for filming. Providing security and power. A lot of things can be done to help. 

What are the challenges you have faced in the industry? 

M. A: On Challenges faced, there is a whole lot of challenges.. i can't  begin to name them, but like every other profession, you just have to find a way to overcome them as they show up. and that comes with loving what you do. Thats when we find fulfillment. 

Where can my readers find you online? 
M. A: @mikeafolarin on Instagram
@mikeafolarin on Twitter.

What did you study in school? 

M. A: I studied Economics, University of Lagos.

What's her name? 
M. A: Her name?? Oh. My mum’s Name is Regina.. if thats what you’re asking.. 😜

What are the 5 things you can't do about? 

M. A: I cant do without  God.
Talking to God
Food.
My Laptop
Water/Oxygen. Lol

Where are you from? 
M. A: I'm from Osun state. Yoruba Boy

What kinda roles do you prefer? 
M. A: I’m really more drawn to emotional and relatable characters. Characters that i know people can relate to. Characters that communicate a particular message to the society, and characters that allow me play through a range of emotions as an actor.

Which actress would you love to kiss in a movie? 
M. A: Jenifer Lawrence/ Amandla Seingber. 

Tell me about your worst audition experience... 
M. A: Worst audition experience... I kinda have a number of them. lol. But there was this time I absolutely forgot my lines. And completely blanked out in the audition room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kindly drop your comments and also follow
Twitter: @opecareem
Instagram: @opecareem