Injured Super Eagles defender Leon Balogun has started walking unaided, as the player appears to be recovering faster than expected.

Balogun injured his ankle on his debut for Nigeria in an international friendly game against Mexico earlier in the month, and had to walk with the aid of crutches.

The 25-year-old has however revealed that his recovery appears to be coming faster than was earlier anticipated by the medics.

"The doctors confirmed that I had a broken toe but it was not fully broken and that is why I have been healing quicker than we even expected," the player said.

"By Friday (March 28) I should be able to know when I can start my comeback with initial ball practice and minor rehabilitation exercises."

The player thanked the officials of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and coach Stephen Keshi for keeping in touch, adding that he is looking forward to teaming up with his international colleagues later in the summer.

“It’s been quite exciting for me and I have been in touch with the Federation and Coach Stephen Keshi, they have been very nice too. I can’t wait to rejoin the squad when we reconvene for the World Cup," Balogun said.

"If I’m lucky to be recalled I will be totally dedicated to helping Nigeria do well at the World Cup."